The Reading Process
There has been a significant accumulation of research with regard to the components that comprise reading success and children. These components are referred to as the ‘Fab Five”.
The Fab Five, also known as the five components of reading are listed below.
- The knowledge and manipulation of sounds in spoken words.
- The relationship between written and spoken letters and sounds.
- The understanding of meaning in text.
- The knowledge of words, their definitions, and context.
- The ability to read with accuracy, and with appropriate rate, expression, and phrasing.