New York State Dignity for All Students ActEnacted July 1, 2012Westport Central School DASA Coordinator:Joshua R. Meyermeyerj@westportcs.org518-962-8244The Dignity for All Students Act (DASA) was enacted to provide students with a safe, supportive educational environment free from discrimination, harassment and bullying. In accordance with the Dignity Act, Westport Central School condemns and strictly prohibits all forms of discrimination, harassment and bullying.What is Bullying? A government website titled Stop Bullying Now defines it as:
General Resources on Bullying:Resources about Cyberbullying:
- Bullying happens when someone hurts or scares another person on purpose and the person being bullied has a hard time defending himself or herself. Usually, bullying happens over and over.
- Punching, shoving, and other acts that hurt people physically
- Spreading bad rumors about people
- Keeping certain people out of a "group"
- Teasing people in a mean way
- Getting certain people to "gang up" on others
- Bullying also can happen online or electronically. Cyberbullying is when children or teens bully each other using the Internet, mobile phones or other cyber technology. This can include:
- Sending mean text, email, or instant messages
- Posting nasty pictures or messages about others in blogs or on Web sites
- Using someone else's user name to spread rumors or lies about someone
New York State Education Department Resources
WCS Dignity Act Resources:
District Policy Student Harassment and Bullying Prevention and InterventionFollow-Up Report Form
Code of Conduct